Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sidewalk Chalk Paint!

This SUPER fun project {Sidewalk Chalk Paint}was orginally posted over at Postively Splendid as part of Amy's Summer Survival Guide. I am reposting just in case you missed it, but please go over and check out all the other awesome summer ideas that have been {and will be} posted throughout the month of May!
Positively Splendid




We love regular chalk at our house. It's relatively cheap, not too messy, and it is the perfect outdoor activity! Basically the kids love chalk because it's fun and I love chalk because they are making a mess outside and not inside:) What I don't love about chalk are all the little broken pieces that pile up after a few weeks of use. I hate to throw them away, but they are just too small to use without scraping your fingers on the concrete!
Instead of throwing them out, we are going to turn those broken piece of chalk into paint! Start by sorting your chalk by color. This is a great teaching activity for any kiddo who is working on learning their colors.
Put each individual color into a zippered bag.
Seal up the bag and then break up the chalk using a small hammer. This should be done by an adult or a {very} well supervised child. Try and break the chalk into a fine powder to make you paint as smooth as possible.
One you have your powdered chalk, pour each color into small plastic cups.
Add a little water.
And stir around with a paint brush to dissolve the chalk powder. We used some inexpensive art brushes that are now our chalk paint brushes:) All of the chalk powder may not dissolve, but your paint should still work fine. Use a different brush for each color and then let the kiddos get busy making art on your sidewalk. The colors may be hard to see at first, but as soon as they start to dry the individual colors will show up well!

The best part about chalk paint is that if someones spills it, it isn't a big deal because all you need is a water hose to clean up the mess!
And that is how you turn broken chalk pieces into a ton of summer fun!
Visit thecsiproject.com
Pin It!

27 comments:

laxsupermom said...

Love this! What a great way to use up those little bits. Thanks for sharing.

Carrie said...

I can't wait to try this! You know we have lots of broken chalk waiting to be used! Great idea! How fun!

Angie said...

What a great idea....Layla will love this idea!

Rebecca said...

Great idea!

Linds said...

great idea! I'm going to try this soon with my 2 year old.

Darcie said...

I am SO going to have to try this. We have a bucket full of broken sidewalk chalk, that would be a blast to turn into paint. Can't wait.

Unknown said...

Love this!
KAT

Kmama said...

That's a very cool idea. I can't stand the feeling of chalk, and I really can't even watch someone play with it on the driveway or sidewalk without getting chills...but this is one way I could play with it!

Jennifer said...

Oh I just love this!! We have more chalk than we know what to do with and this will be perfect!

Mimi said...

So very clever! Your kids look like they are so into their chalk paint! Oh how fun!
Saw you at Sassy Sites!

Unknown said...

I have to try this! What a great idea! It is so simple and fun.

Janene said...

Who knew? How simple!! Thanks!

He & Me + 3 said...

What a great idea. Ours is a mess. I will totally be trying this! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hey you are right, I can do this lol. How easy I have tons of small pieces of chalk, thanks!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

How fun!!
Looks like you've come up with some good outdoor ideas!!!

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

That is brilliant!
Visiting your from Tatertots and Jello.

Sassy Sites! said...

This is seriously genius!! The first thing my kids do when I give them a piece of sidewalk chalk is throw it! They LOVE to see it bust into pieces. I've threatened to never do chalk again... this way is better! :) Thanks so much for linking up to Sassy Sites -Free For ALL party! If you have a second, would you come by and see what we've created for the American Crafters competition... and maybe even put in a vote for us! ;)

xoxo!!
Marni @ Sassy Sites!

Unknown said...

Awesome!!! We've made our own sidewalk chalk paint too, only we used cornstarch and food coloring. I have the link on my Summer Fun Inspirations post.

I would LOVE to have you share this at my For the Kids Link Party! Stop on by and join the fun!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/05/for-kids-friday-11.html

Miller Racing Family said...

Fabulous idea. We love all things sidewalk chalk but like you said I hate the broken pieces so this will be perfect. I think we are going to try the glo in the dark chalk this summer.
Thanks again for the great idea!

Moquelish said...

I am bookmarking this one. My kids will love this. Thanks!

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

Great idea! Probably a lot cheaper than buying the sidewalk paint from the store!!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

such a great idea! we had the crayola chalk paint and it didn't wash off as well ias it was supposed to- i bet this is much cleaner! :)

Unknown said...

Fun! My kids like to make what they call "chalk balls". They use a pieces of chalk to scibble and scribble until they have a pile of chalk dust. Then, adding a little water, they gather up the chalk and make a ball.

Peggy said...

so smart!
I just gave me niece some sidewalk chalk and although I think she's a little young for the paint version at 3, we'll totally do this down the road.

Jill said...

Great idea! I loved sidewalk chalk as a kid, and I used to scrape my knuckles when I got down to the nubs! lol Great alternative to save the next generation's skin!

Designed by Dawn Nicole said...

This is awesome and so fun! Pinning this to try with my kids this summer!

Jennifer said...

Pinning! You rock! This is an awesome idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...