Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Confessions of a Craft Slacker


We're almost halfway through September...two weeks into football season and well on our way to fall. Anybody want to take a guess at what my front porch looks like?!?
If you guessed all cutesied up for football season or decked out with pumpkins, hay bales, and scarecrows you would be SO wrong.
Nope, my front porch still looks like this:
Yep, the middle of September and my 4th of July decorations are still up! I have a few ideas of what to change out the flags for, but all you have to do is check out the title of this post to see why the stars and stripes are still flying proud on my front porch.
*****
Hi, my name is Kelli and I am a craft slacker!
*****
The sad thing is my front porch isn't the only place where my slacking is showing through. The back patio is looking pretty sad too after a few of my patio makeover elements gave out!
Do you remember my lovely Outdoor Toy Organizer? Well if you don't here's a little refresher...except don't look too closely because this is what it looks like now with sagging shelves and peeling paint.
Apparently my attempt to seal up a wooden shelf and make it outdoor proof failed....thank you very much in advance for not saying "I told you so"! I heard that enough from my hubby:)
And do you remember my old window turned outdoor wall art? Here's what it looked like before:
And here is what it looks like after a strong gust of wind snapped the wire it was hanging from and sent it crashing to the ground:
Obviously picture wire that is perfectly fine for indoor uses is not so great for things that are outside and might be moved by the wind!

And this just might be my worst confession of the day....do you remember this oh so pretty wall decor that I added to my kitchen back in April?
Yes it is Easter decor, and yes it is still hanging proudly on my kitchen wall. Okay, maybe not so proudly since we are closer to Christmas than we are last Easter...but at least it matches my walls:)
*******
I'm sure there are few more confessions that I could share with you...like my craft room that looks like it could be declared a disaster area or the rug I bought 5 months ago with plans to stencil that is still folded up on my bedroom floor...but instead, I would love to hear about some of your slacker ways! Is there anything around your house that you have been putting off? Do you need to join me at the next Craft Slacker Anonymous meeting?
Weekend Bloggy Reading
Pin It!

27 comments:

Srtaperez said...

Thak you so much, it really does make me feel so much better that it's not just my projects fail, I truly appreciate your honesty.

Miller Racing Family said...

I agree it is nice to know other peoples best laid plans don't always go perfect. I finally got my fall decor. up yesterday and today I am making myself go and sew up a few projects or there will be no presents to take to the birthday parties this weekend.
Blessings!

Mrs. Who said...

I am a hardcore craft slacker. I have all of these great ideas and then life just gets in the way and they don't get done! For example, I started crocheting a blanket a few months ago in hopes to have it done by Christmas to give to my sister - It's not half way done yet and I simply don't have time to finish! *sigh* I'm going to be sentenced to crafter's prison if I don't get my other Christmas projects started soon!

Jill said...

It's ok. You put out flags for Labor Day and 9/11 so really, they're just more end of summer/remembering 9/11 decorations. Now, if they're still up there at Halloween? Then I might judge you. ;-)

Kelli said...

I will join you at the next meeting. I will also be attending the Home Maintenance Slacker and Organization Slacker meetings as well.

Kelli said...

Oh and I adore your front porch...those columns are my favorite.

Michelle Paige said...

Sign me up for your Craft Slacker Meetings! I could lead the group! I'm completely still in summer mode and refuse to decorate for Halloween until October! Regarding fall decor...yah, haven't got there yet!
--Michelle

Richella Parham said...

Well. . . if it's any comfort. . . He IS still risen!

So glad to know that I'm not the only one whose projects don't always make it to the "perfect outcome" state!

Darcie said...

Say it isn't so!!!!! ;-) Let's just say you were taking a small break, or maybe big break...whatever it is at least you still have the word craft in the same sentence as your name! Sorry about your adorable picture for your patio though...that actually makes me sad. :-(

Carrie @ My Favorite Finds said...

Oh my...your poor patio! What a bummer! No worries, my front porch still has summer's flowers on it, no autumn wreath, and nothing orange, brown or red. I'm hitting Michael's this weekend, though, with the 50% off coupon that was in the paper last week. Hopefully I'll be inspired!

Carrie said...

I actually leave american flags out all summer starting with the fourth because I think it fits through september with 9/11 your front porch still looks cute ;-)

bummer about the back porch project...i hope it will still last you for awhile, shabby chic, right?! ;-) that's what I say around our house anyway! ha!

I haven't done a craft in so long...but I am feeling like I'm failing at general everyday upkeep, blah! NO worries, Kelli, you are a mom to three busy boys...that is what's important right now! But I know you will come through with some cute fall decor ;-)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Hello, my name is Amanda, and I am a Craft Slacker. I don't ever seem to be able to finish a craft lately unless it is for a campaign or Giveaway. :s Maybe it's the motivation I need! I've had the fabric for a camera strap for 6-9 months now...still sitting in the other room. :s Don't feel bad!

Myya said...

The 4th of July stuff was left up on purpose for Sept 11th... right! :)

I've been a slacker at EVERYTHING this Summer, your house still looks 500x better then mine at this moment.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh you're an amazing crafter slacker and all:)

Ambrosia said...

I can't keep up with anything right now! School, 2 boys playing football AND fall baseball, and being exhausted and pregnant. My house is a disaster! I'd invite you over to help you realize what a super-woman you are, but that'd mean I'd have to get up and clean. ;)

Kmama said...

You crack me up. Your house is still way craftier and better decorated than mine will EVER be.

pam said...

you are just so funny...love reading your blog.

Ahlumba said...

When I looked at your porch i was like whats bad about it looks nice to me then i kept reading and said "Oh!"...lol...It's hilarious often i begin bright idea projects but at the end of the day there is no follow through so i feel your pain :)

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

Baahaaahaahaaa! Same story here! However, it's finally not going to be 100 stinkn' degress this weekend and I'm putting Fall / Halloween up! My little hands can't wait!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I'm totally laughing with you..not at you!
Our dining room table if FULL of craft projects yet to be started (or half-started). My 'craft cave' is upstairs & I've been too lazy to get it somewhat organized.

We are having our housewarming party next weekend. I guess I should make some effort before then :)

jenny said...

Oh dear God, you make me laugh! Thank you for your refreshing honesty!

Anonymous said...

These comments are hilarious. All I had for outdoor fall decorations was this scary looking scarecrow with a pumpkin head. We bought it at the dollar store just after we were married (10 years ago). We had no money for anything nicer. It always freaked me out. I think I got rid of it, but I kind of secrently hope he's lurking in the fall decoration box in the attic.

Laura said...

First- He is still risen, and is every day, and it matches your wall color, so let's not call it Easter art, let's just call it art! So, no slacking there!

The patriotic porch, well, you were keeping that up for Labor Day and 9/11, I am sure. you are a very patriotic person, and good for you! No slacking there!

And as far as your cute shelf and window...so sad! How dissapointing when a project doesn't work out over the long haul. You have learned a few things along the way and have graciously shared your lessons with us. How kind! I don't think the word slacker applies here. How about kind advisor of fellow crafters?

(I'll take "Justification" for $500, Alex.)

So, I see no slacking going on. Perhaps it is a life that is filled with creative pursuits along with chores and dishes and dinners and nurturing young human lives. Craft when you can!

The Mommy Therapy said...

Kelli, the fact that you did any of those projects makes me uber impressed. I have about a million things that run through my mind that I want to do and never do, it's good you keep things up way past the "appropriate" time. You worked hard on them, show it off! For months!

Feel free to come over and glance around my very undone home if it makes you feel better! :)

Paula@SweetPea said...

I love a "real life" post like this! It would be nice if all of our projects worked and stayed looking nice.

I want to tell you that I love the design of your front porch. I don't think I've seen a picture of the front of your home before. It looks like a charming place!

Dusti M said...

Sad to hear about your patio. :(
I started a list of things I need to finish the other day and there were about 15 things...and I doubt the list is even finished. I keep thinking I would love to dedicate a week just to catch up with myself. :) Thank you for sharing! You have a lot of us in the craft slacker boat with you!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

If it makes you feel any better, I don't think HE cares what the season is to proclaim HE's risen. :)

I love that you share your triumphs and your oopsies.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...